Teaching and Learning

Will I get a house if I’m homeless?

If you are homeless, the Council will first have to try and help you to secure accommodation. This does not mean they have to provide accommodation for you but they do have to help you to find somewhere to live (although if you are in priority need they will have to provide emergency accommodation whilst they are helping you to find a place to live). This could be private accommodation, council or housing association housing, a hostel, supported accommodation or even a place to stay with friends or family, as long as it is suitable for you and likely to be available for you for at least 6 months.

A young person does not have to have a priority need to get this help from the Council and it should be provided regardless of why you are homeless.

It is only if the Council is unable to help you to secure accommodation within 56 days that it may have to actually provide accommodation for you. The Council will only have a duty to secure accommodation for some people who are homeless, in priority need and not intentionally homeless. For more information on who the Council may have a duty to house see…

If the Council decides it has a duty to give you accommodation, you could be offered:

Bed and Breakfast

You have one room to yourself and probably have to share facilities with other residents. They may have rules about what time you should be in at night, whether you can have guests and using alcohol and drugs.


In some hostels you have to share a room, in others you get your own room. They have similar rules to Bed and Breakfasts and you can get kicked out for breaking them. Some hostels only accommodate young people and many will help you to find more permanent accommodation. Some offer more support and can be suitable if you don’t feel ready to cope with a place on your own. Hostels are run by a wide range of organisations including the YMCA, local Councils and the Salvation Army.


Foyers provide somewhere to live and also help with training and finding work. Accommodation is usually a single or a shared bedroom and bathroom, with a shared kitchen and living area. The accommodation is usually of a high standard. You can normally stay one to two years.

Most foyers have a waiting list. Find out more about Foyers in Wales

Domestic abuse Refuges

If someone has left home because of violence or abuse or threats of violence a domestic abuse refuge can somewhere safe to stay. Most refuges are for women and children, but there are a few for men. They are usually ordinary houses shared by women and children. Male visitors are not usually allowed. The addresses of refuges are kept secret to protect residents. Women’s Aid and the Live Fear Free Helpline (0808 80 10 800) can provide more information about domestic abuse refuges.

Flat or House

It is unlikely the Council will offer you a flat or house straight away; you will more than likely spend time in other accommodation first.

Supported Housing

You may be given a room in supported accommodation if you have particular needs. Support workers will help you to gain the skills you need to live independently.

For more advice and support, click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Homelessness