Teaching and Learning

Getting help from the council

The help available if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness varies depending on your particular circumstances. The Council has to accept a homelessness application from anyone over 16. If the Council won’t let you make an application, you can ask for written reasons why. You should get advice as soon as possible to see if you disagree with the Council’s decision.

You can make a homeless application in person, by telephone or in writing although it is better to apply in person so that a homelessness officer can speak to you.

Some homeless young people will be given emergency accommodation, but some will only be given help to find a place to live. Even if you are not from the local area you should still get help. Don’t be put off by jargon and the law, it can be complicated! Usually only people who are homeless and appear to be in ‘priority need’ are given emergency accommodation. You might think that anyone who is homeless should be a priority. The legal meaning of priority need is much more limited, but does include young people who are.

  • 16 or 17
  • care lavers under the age of 21
  • 18-20 and at risk of financial or sexual exploitation
  • responsible for children or who are pregnant
  • vulnerable as a result of time spent in custody
  • victims of domestic abuse
  • homeless when leaving the armed forces
  • homeless due to a fire, flood or other disaster
  • vulnerable for another reason, such as illness or disability.

If you think you fall into one of the groups above but the Council won’t provide you with emergency accommodation, you can speak to an advisor at Shelter Cymru on 0345 074 5005.

Click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Homelessness