Teaching and Learning

Becoming Homeless

Living with friends and family
16 or over and living with your parents? You have no legal rights to stay if you are told to leave. Your only option is to talk to your parents, maybe with the help of a professional, and persuade them not to kick you out.

Sofa Surfing

If you are staying at a friend’s house, you have no right to stay if you are asked to leave.

Under 16?

Your parents have a duty to look after you and provide accommodation.

Own Your Own Home?

If you rent or own your own home

If a landlord is trying to evict you, they must follow strict legal steps and cannot just throw you out of your accommodation.

A bank trying to repossess your home must also follow strict rules. In both cases you can only lose your accommodation if there is a court order telling you to leave.

Splitting up with a Partner

Some young people lose their accommodation when the relationship they are in ends. If you are not married, you probably won’t have any rights over your partner’s accommodation. If you and your partner are joint tenants, i.e. both people’s names are on the tenancy agreement, or you are joint owners then both of you have rights to stay. It’s best to come to an agreement about who is going to stay and who will leave. If you can’t reach an agreement, you should contact an advice agency.

If you are married, have a civil partnership or a child with your partner, you may have rights over their accommodation even if you are not joint tenants or owners. You should get advice about your rights to staying in your home.

For more advice and support, click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Homelessness