Teaching and Learning

Applying as homeless

When you go to the Council housing department for help when you are homeless or about to become homeless it can help if you take documents along when you go. What they want to see depends on your circumstances but could include some of what is on the checklist.

Don’t worry if you haven’t got anything that’s on the checklist. You can still apply for help. The Council must still look into what responsibilities it owes you.


  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Proof of immigration status
  • Driving licence with photograph
  • Medical card
  • Citizen card
  • Travel pass with photo attached

Evidence of why you are Homeless

  • Letter from your parents or friends saying you have to leave
  • Notice to quit from a landlord
  • Eviction documents from the court

Evidence of where you Live

  • Letter addressed to you, or which says where you have been living, from
  • School
  • College
  • Social worker
  • Probation officer
  • Doctor
  • Hospital
  • Employer
  • Benefits Agency
  • Solicitor
  • Bills (phone, gas, electricity) in your name
  • Tenancy agreement

Other evidence of your personal Circumstances

  • Child benefit book
  • Income support book or proof of receipt of other documents
  • Proof of pregnancy
  • Hospital ante-natal record book
  • Doctor’s/hospital letter about any health problems

These documents can also be useful if you have to claim benefits.

If you have any problems you can get advice. Advice about housing problems is available from Shelter Cymru on 0345 075 5005.

Click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Homelessness