Teaching and Learning

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are affected by the bedroom tax and/or are having problems paying your rent, you may be able to claim a discretionary housing payment (DHP) to top-up the amount of housing benefit you receive. Each local council is given a pot of money each year to help people who qualify for housing benefit (or housing costs under universal credit) but are having trouble:

  • paying their rent, or
  • finding enough money to pay for the start-up costs of a tenancy.

Payments are usually only made for a temporary period and are discretionary, so they can’t be relied on long-term but can provide some short-term help.

Contact your local council’s housing benefit department for more information on how to apply for a DHP in your area.

Most full time students aged 19 or over cannot claim housing benefit or LHA.

The amount of housing benefit or LHA you are entitled to depends on a number of things. Go to: www.gov.uk for more information.

For more advice and support, click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Benefits