Teaching and Learning


Benefit rules are complicated, but here is a summary of some of the benefits available.

You can claim money for day-to-day living expenses from a number of different welfare benefits. To get paid these benefits you must fill out an application form and meet certain criteria. If you need money urgently before your first payment of benefit, you can apply for a short term benefit advance through the Jobcentre. Ay advance payments made will be deducted from your payments until the advance is fully paid back.

You can also ask for help to pay for one-off expenses that are harder to budget for if you are on benefits. If you don’t have money for essential things like a bed or a fridge, there may be a furniture project in your area that can help. Alternatively, you might be able to get a budgeting loan from the social fund or a budgeting advance if you are receiving universal credit. As these are loans, you will have to prove that you can pay the money back.

You may also be able to get a payment from the Discretionary Assistance Fund for Wales if you can show that you need assistance to safeguard your health and well-being. These grants do not have to be paid back, but as money is limited, not all applications are successful. It can be useful to get advice from Citizen’s Advice or other welfare rights service before you make the application, so you know exactly what information you need to provide.

Benefits cannot be refused because you have no accommodation. Benefits are almost always paid into a bank, building society, credit union or post office account, so you don’t need a postal address for your giro to be sent to anymore.

If you are a young person leaving care, you cannot normally claim benefits (unless you are a lone parent) but you will get support from social services.

For more advice and support, click here to visit the relevant Shelter Cymru Advice online page.

< Back to Money