Teaching and Learning

Getting Benefits when you have nowhere to live

A person without a home has the same right to claim benefits as anyone else. If you are homeless you can make a claim for benefits at your local Jobcentre. Giros are usually posted but you may have to pick up your giro from the Jobcentre or local post office.

You have to provide evidence of your identity to get benefits, but the Jobcentre should be flexible about this if you are homeless. If you need money immediately you can apply for a crisis loan until your benefit comes through.

For more information about the different types of benefits and how to claim them visit the Department for Work and Pensions website or talk get in touch with Shelter Cymru.